big girls need big diamonds


The world lost another great actress of the golden age on March 23rd. After 79 years on earth, eight marriages, two academy awards, and countless jewels, Dame Elizabeth Taylor succumbed to congestive heart failure. She's to be buried today, and my heart is heavy.

I adore old movies, I love the nostalgic feel of black and whites and grainy, soft colours of technicolor films. Since a young age I've been admiring and attempting to emulate the class and grace of actresses from the 40's and 50's. Audrey Hepburn, Katharine Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman, they all carried themselves with an air of dignity that I could never dream of possessing, but amongst all these great female legends, I don't think any of them could hold a candle to the beautiful and vivacious Elizabeth Taylor. When you watch one of her films she just draws you in, every seductive gaze, every longing sigh, every passionate outburst, you can't tear your eyes away from her, she simply steals the scene.

One of my favourite movies of all time is Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. It ranks right below Breakfast at Tiffany's and above Bringing Up Baby for me, every time Elizabeth Taylor turns her big violet eyes to Paul Newman and begs her alcoholic husband to stop withdrawing from her, it sends chills down my spine. When Maggie turns away and quietly tells Brick, "I can't see any man but you, even with my eyes closed I just see you" my heart jumps to my throat, and I'm filled with both jealousy and awe that someone so gorgeous can be so talented too.

Of course, Elizabeth Taylor was more than just a brilliant actress, she was a strong willed woman and as beautiful inside as she was outside. She was a strong social advocate for AIDS research, and in her life time raised over $100 million dollars for the cause. She was also a devoted friend, she physically pulled Montgomery Clift out of the car wreck that deformed him caused his spiral into drug and alcohol abuse and stood by him and helped secure his last couple film roles before his death when no one in Hollywood would even consider him. When the world was accusing Michael Jackson of child molestation, she never doubted him for a minute and supported him spiritually and emotionally throughout the trial.

The world lost more than a screen icon this week, it lost one of the greatest women to ever grace the Earth. I would consider myself lucky if I had even an ounce of the generosity and spirit Elizabeth Taylor possessed. I know if there's an afterlife, she's with her many friends and lovers again, reminiscing on their wild days and laughing.

"I feel very adventurous. There are so many doors to be opened, and I'm not afraid to look behind them." -Elizabeth Taylor (February 27, 1932 - March 23rd, 2011)




Leave a Reply